Created an attachment (id=4700)
new partition formatted with WinXP
1) To prepare a harddisk for installing ReactOS I formatted a disk with WinXP (PC contains 2 harddisks). Should be the same thing as partitioning with GPartedLive ..
(=> please see 1. attachment)
2) After that I installed ReactOS on this partition:
- no partition deleted or created by ReactOS Setup
- no formatting by ReactOS Setup
- writing the MBR = yes
MBR boot code was written but ReactOS Setup did not set this partition to 80h = Active in MBR. So my BIOS did not boot this partition and did not start 2nd stage setup. (=> please see 2. attachment)
According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/80304/en
some BIOSes read this bootflag and don't start the OS
if the ACTIVE flag 80h is not set (eg "NO ROM BASIC")
even if everything else is correct in MBR and PBR.
3) After that I ran ReactOS Setup again, this time WITH formatting the paritition within ReactOS setup. Now ACTIVE flag 80h was set and ReactOS 2nd stage setup proceeded.
(=> please see 3. attachment)